Monday, April 18, 2011

Using Smart VOIP in Ubuntu

I was trying to use Smart VOIP to make calls. But as I am on Ubuntu most of the time I was trying to get a solution for it other than logged in from Windows. Here is something I found ultimately.


Please note that I did this on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine.
Here we go:
1) Download and install Linphone from http://www.linphone.org/ or you can simply use Ubuntu Software center.


2) Open Linphone. You can find this under, Applications --> Internet --> Linphone


3) Then select, preferences from Linphone menu. Go to "Manage SIP Accounts". Click Add button and enter following details.

  • Your SIP identity: sip:<smart_voip_userName>@.com. eg: yourName@smartvoip.com
  • SIP Proxy address: sip:sip.smartvoip.com
  • Keep other settings as is and click 'OK'
That's it! We are done! 

Enjoy your calls to loved or non-loved once! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kasun, I am on ubuntu 10.04, running on an HP laptop. I did all that you have specified, still it is not working. Is there anything like firewall blocking? Please help, thanks in advance.
    Arun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arun,

    Sorry just now only I noticed your comment. Might be you have already solved the problem. What kind of response you are getting when you try to make a call?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me the features, dynamics and services of Portico..and one more thing there is any other alternate option for portico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to inform everyone to a new web site called VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) to measure your QoS. It's the Internet's best and most accessible QoS testing service. It utilizes packet loss, latency, and jitter to calculate a MOS score between 1 (very poor quality) and 5 (excellent quality) for your Internet connection. VoIP Spear runs 24x7x365 so you can always have an idea of what your VoIP QoS is.

    VoIP Spear shows your QoS in easy-to-read charts. You can also have it send you email alerts when your quality drops too low.

    VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) is free for personal use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank very much. Its work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Configured my account using this. Works fine. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete